Date(s) - Wed 09/23/2020
12:00 pm - 1:15 pm
The McCarthy Institute and SFIPLA are proud to co-host a virtual panel and CLE on Trademark Law and Its Challenges: 2020 (US and Europe). Please join our panelists Nick Aries (Bird & Bird), David Franklyn (director, the McCarthy Institute), and Vijay Toke (Pillsbury) and moderator Stephanie Hall (Lyft) for a curated discussion of select trends and issues in trademark law — covering both sides of the Atlantic. Topics covered will include: key takeaways from the U.S. Supreme Court’s trademark rulings this term, Romag and Booking.com; the First Amendment vs. Lanham Act; implications of current pending U.S. litigation for online platforms; using bad faith arguments as a tool in the EU; online infringement and platform liability trends in the EU; and practical steps for Brexit.
● Stephanie Hall (moderator) – email@example.com
Stephanie Hall is trademark and brand counsel for Lyft, where she is responsible for leading and managing Lyft’s global trademark strategy, trademark and domain portfolios, and enforcement program. Stephanie also advises on advertising and marketing, licensing, and trade secrets mattrs, and related litigation. Prior to joining Lyft, Stephanie was an associate at DLA Piper, where she specialized in trademark and copyright related counseling, prosecution, and litigation. Stephanie is an Advisory Board member of the SFIPLA.
● Nick Aries – Nick.Aries@twobirds.com
Nick Aries is an IP partner with international law firm Bird & Bird. He co-heads the firm’s San Francisco representative (non-US law) office, where he advises on EU and UK trademark, copyright, design, and trade secrets matters. Nick also advises on strategy and coordinates IP disputes and litigation outside the US. Being in the US means Nick can be contacted on EU/UK IP matters by US clients and practitioners at a time convenient to them, and makes more frequent interaction on such matters possible. Nick is an Advisory Board member of the SFIPLA, a member of the SVIPLA, and a member of INTA’s Enforcement Committee and IPO’s European Practice Committee.
● David Franklyn – firstname.lastname@example.org
David Franklyn is a prominent law professor who is considered one of the nation’s preeminent experts on intellectual property and technology law. Since 2000, he has been the Director of the McCarthy Institute for IP and Technology Law. He joined the faculty of Golden Gate University in 2018. At GGU, Franklyn has a joint appointment between the School of Law and the Ageno School of Business. This joint appointment will allow students to take classes that integrate legal and business principles. He consults with some of the world’s leading companies and serves as an expert witness in trademark and IP cases.
● Vijay Toke – email@example.com
○ Vijay Toke focuses on trademark, copyright, and licensing disputes in federal courts nationwide and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Vijay also advises on maintaining and enforcing trademark portfolios. Clients include technology companies, fashion and luxury brands, wineries, telecommunications companies, design houses, consumer goods manufacturers, food product brands, retailers, and restaurants and hospitality companies. Vijay is a frequent speaker on trademark law developments, and he’s a member of the International Amicus Committee within the International Trademark Association. He has been named to the WTR1000 ranking of top trademark attorneys in California since 2017.
This virtual program will be hosted live on Zoom. Please click here to register for the event.
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2020
The webinar will be managed by Golden Gate University’s (“GGU”) underlying tech, Kelsey Anglin, One Source Strategy.
GGU will be providing California MCLE credit for this program activity. GGU is an approved provider of California MCLE credit, and certifies that the above activity meets the requirements for one hour of participatory credit.